Friday, March 30, 2007

Forced Humility



Okay, so I was reminded today of one of the many reasons God blesses us with children. I decided that humbling me was definitely in His plan when he allowed me to be a parent. Allow me to explain. Today I took Ty to a consignment sale at Forrest Hills Baptist Church. It was a great sale by the way if anyone wants to go tonight or tomorrow. Anyway, he sat in his stroller fairly compliantly while I shopped as long as I gave him constant snacks, books, or toys to distract him. I was so pleasantly surprised that I even got in the time that I did before he got totally restless that I thought, hey I'll let him get out of the stroller and play with these big toys for a few minutes before I pay and strap him back into his carseat. Well, that was all well and good until it was time to leave. The term "drug him out kicking and screaming" took on literal meaning for me today. I literally carried the child out kicking, trashing, and screaming. It was priceless. Let me paint the picture. Imagine a 34 weeks (almost) pregnant woman pushing a stroller carrying a diaper bag and shopping bag with her left hand and an 18 month old being held horizontally face down and feet down on her hip with her right arm around his stomach while she tries to open the door with her body and leave. All the while the child is throwing a complete fit. Now, I know what all of those women (and couple of men) were thinking. It was either "Why can't that woman control her child?" or "Bless her heart. Her child is out of control, and look at her. She is about to have another one. She must be crazy." Let's just say I made it to the car without dropping him (barely) and chalked it up as not my proudest mommy moment. I write all of this to say that it is good to be embarrassed once in a while. It reminds me not to judge other people's situations and that it really doesn't matter what all those people were thinking. My other purpose in writing this is to ask: What do you do in a situation like that with an 18 month old? I talked to him very sternly about why we don't act like that and made him look me in the face. I also made him pat me sweetly to show him the correct way to treat mommy after he hit me while I was dragging him out. I am open for suggestions from any of you fellow parents. I realize that you can't allow your kids to behave like that, but I don't think I can give my one year old a beating either. So, what would you do? And don't worry, I won't be judging you! By the way, after that I took him to get a haircut where he screamed so hard to the whole time that his entire body was trembling. Banner day. It's a good thing he is so cute!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

give the boy a beatin.

-you can guess which of us says this. - sethnbeth

Heather said...

Tara, I am right there with you. I don't know and mine is almost 2!! I tell him no and he hits and yells no! I love your blog. Hope to see you soon!

Holly said...

I am exhausted after reading that entry! Not looking forward to those moments! Lucas already tests us on a daily basis and even when I spank him he goes right back over to touch whatever I just spanked him for touching. I guess children are a lesson in patience. One of my friends that has 2 daughters that are so well behaved told me you have to have a very stern voice but it has to be one that you can use in public as well as at home because if you scream at them at home, they know you aren't going to do that in public but if you have the same normal, but very stern, voice both places, they know they are in for it. Plus, she gives them a chance to do right but if they don't, she spanks them. I also heard you have to give your kids about a 2 minute warning before leaving somewhere. Like, ok, it's almost time for us to go home, so play for a few minutes but then we are going. It supposedly prepares them for what is coming next, and the fits are suppose to be less. Who really knows! I am scared though!!!

Anonymous said...

Let the beatings begin!!! Just kidding, although I am quite sure some spankings will be in your near future. Hang in there: 2's (yes, you are already entering those) and 3's are hardest with boys. It won't be the last time you sling him over your shoulder and haul him out of someplace screaming (happened to me in church with Ryan just a few weeks ago). Just steel yourself for your outings and know it's not behavior that will last forever. And you are about to have a sweet little girl who won't give you a minute's trouble until she's a preteen. Then Ty will be "the sweet one". :) And finally, the next time you want to make an outing like that, Aunt Jan will be around for you to dump the kids with so you can go alone!!! Love you!

Misty George said...

I dont know either but when you figure it out let me know! I think that you are doing a great job!!!

chris anne said...

that is the constant question around my house. it's one thing if you're at home or somewhere that you can just ignore him and walk away when he throws a fit. but when you're in public, there's just no great way to handle it. timeouts work better for us at home than hand smacks or whatever, but there again, it's hard in public! yikes, this parenting stuff is hard work!