Monday, October 01, 2007

Weird Weekend

Well, it was certainly a strange weekend at our house. After welcoming Bennett into the world Thursday night and getting home after 1:00 AM, Friday proved to be a rather eventful day. Ty slept normally Thursday night and woke up Friday morning with a little bit of a rattle in his throat. It sounded like he just had a little drainage, and I wasn't the least bit worried because he seemed fine and had no other symptoms. We even went back to the hospital to see Bennett and had lunch with my mom, aunt, and grandmothers. Thankfully I didn't take Ty into the room with Bennett. Ty's breathing got a little worse as the day went on and after his nap (during which he slept normally) he sounded like he was struggling to breathe. You could hear him easily across the room and over other noises everytime he breathed. We happened to be babysitting Friday night for Brian's cousin Janet(who babysits for me often!), but I had to leave Brian with Ansley and the 2 boys and take Ty to the doctor at 7:20. At 6:00 he had no fever. He had no other symptoms. I felt silly even taking him in but he could not breathe right. Anyway, when we got to the doctor his temp was 99. She listened to him, gave him a breathing treatment and sent us straight to the hospital. Sidenote, the doctor I saw Friday is one I have only seen one other time when Ty was a newborn and we got sent to the hospital for jaundice. When they took me into that same room I got a bad feeling that we were headed to the hospital. So we got to the hospital and his temp was 103. He was very tired of being messed with and it was past his bedtime. I had left our house completely unprepared for anything like this. I had only one extra diaper, no extra clothes for Ty, my honey mustard from lunch on my shirt, an almost dead cellphone, etc. A few hours later Brian was able to come meet me and bring all the stuff we needed in order to spend the night. They gave Ty a stronger breathing treatment and didn't see enough improvement to send us home so they kept us all night in the ER and gave him another treatment along with a chest X-ray. The whole thing was just very strange as he showed no other signs of croup which is what they diagnosed. After getting basically no sleep friday night we got to come home around lunch time Saturday. We napped and then got up for a while and went back to bed. Mom and Dad kept Ansley overnight while we were at the hospital. I was totally unprepared to be away from her all night, but so glad to know she was being well cared for. Then on Sunday Brian's mom and dad and his sister Kendria kept us fed. Ty seems to be coming out of it. His fever is gone and he is breathing much better. All this to say (if anyone is still reading) that I feel very thankful after this weekend for several things:
1. We have so many family and friends who will do anything for us. 2. I got to spend hours loving on Ty. 3. We have health insurance. 4. I have a husband who stands by me and loves our children. 5. We live close to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. 6. I have generally healthy children. 7. I don't have to sleep on a stretcher every night. 8. I am short enough to sleep in a hospital crib with my toddler so he will go to sleep. 9. Most of all, a God who provides all of these blessings and never leaves me.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

So glad our sweet little buddy is doing so much better! Prayers were answered. God is faithful!

April Kay said...

Wow, Tara! I could not believe this story after Marc filled me in on some of it! And I had just talked to you Thursday night before all this happened! I'm so glad our Ty is okay! What night it sounds like you went through!! Thank you for sharing that with us. :) You're such a strong mommy!! Love you!